Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: getting older hearing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member armandhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2009
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    getting older hearing

    I started noticing a little distortion and figured it was time to re cap the amp
    [70s marantz 240B] but the problem remained. pulling the grill off the speaker [JBL4411] I see the flexible bit at the edge of the cone is deteriorating. my pal tom has some rings and glue so I pull the speakers and off we go. they are back in and sound great, probably as good as they ever did. distortion gone [probably a light rub] but my wife says I need a hearing aid as I never hear her. I am sure she is right as it seems my favorites are not quite the same [explained by this guy in paragraph 4,5,6]
    Jukebox Friday Night - Supplier List
    remember these guys were using ultralinier in the dark ages of Hi Fi

    now where did I put my glasses

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: getting older hearing

    There was a nice article in Scientific America a few years ago...about hearing loss.

    Hearing loss (on a grand scale) occurs ONLY in people who life in a industrialized society. There are people living in the jungles of Africa and South America who are OVER 70 and have PERFECT HEARING. The more your ears are subject to loud noises the more likely you'll experience some hearing loss as you get older.

    In recent years there have been a drastic increase in hearing loss among teenagers and twenty somethings...Almost all attributed to listening to music at extremely high decibels. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a car/truck drive by with the thump/thump/thump so loud I can't even hear my son talk who's sitting right next to me...and both vehicles have their windows rolled up...I can't imagine how loud it is INSIDE that car.

    And then there's the guy I saw a few months ago who was driving very very fast...I could hear the sound system in his car almost 1/4 mile away....it was deafening....and as he drove past I saw in his back seat...two kids in car seats.....Those kids will be deaf by the time their school age (if they weren't already).

  3. #3
    Inactive Member armandhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2009
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: getting older hearing

    too true

    and part of the problem is no respit from the noise
    everything from dishwashers to computer cooling fans
    no longer are the furnace blowers low speed and the ducts big
    just one big woosh now

    my time in the USN was always loud followed by 20+ in industry and high DBA
    until the osha standards kicked it down a wee bit.

    say what?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: getting older hearing

    Now days the house sounds really weird when the power goes out...... no nothing making sound except for maybe a battery powered clock on the wall.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: getting older hearing

    I remember when I was a kid in the late 80's & early 90's and the fad of huge car systems were in full effect. I used to go to shows, but get ridiculed for wearing earplugs....I remember I was in a van and I had a hard time breathing... it was ridiculous....

    armandhoff, I was in the navy, worked on F-14's at the start then moved on to other arenas, I always wore my earplugs and mickey mouse ears.... especially went I went to the burn pad for my first High power turn in a jet.... crazy amount of db's, also the daily life on a carrier, man, I loved it when the power would go out and flying would stop for a while, you could actually hear again,, always freakin noisy on the boat.


    But back to the kids in the back with the boom boom... yeah i have three little ones, and we never have the radio up loud in the car......can not stand when I see others who do nto protect their kids hearing and abuse it like that.... really gets me....


    oh well, off of my box.....



    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.